Five Of The Best Uses For a Home Security Camera
Every homeowner knows the primary use for a home security camera is to monitor access to the home. The camera might be positioned to monitor activity in the yard, or to monitor doors and windows on one or more sides of the house.
These cameras provide security for your home in two ways. First, a home security camera can be monitored around the clock for unusual activity. Second, they can be used to trigger other events, such as setting off an alarm, turning on lights, locking doors and windows, or notifying the police or the homeowner (when away from the house).
There are, however, five additional uses for a home security camera that are important and valuable to many homeowners. Each of these uses is relevant to ensuring the safety of various members of your family at particular times. Five other uses for your home security camera are:
- A nanny or sitter camera. Many parents are reluctant to leave their young children, especially infants, with sitters or caregivers who are not members of the family. We have all heard stories of children being abused, harmed or neglected by paid caregivers. A home security camera can be used to monitor or film everything happening in your child’s bedroom or in your family room (or both) while your child is in the care of someone else. Many systems even allow you to monitor live (real-time) everything within the range of the security camera while you are away from home.
- A safety monitor for an elderly parent or grandparent. One of the most difficult changes for many elderly adults is relinquishing one’s independence. While family members might understand this struggle, they are also concerned about the safety and security of their loved ones. A home security camera is one way to monitor activity in the parent’s house or apartment without becoming intrusive. For example, a home security camera directed to the area where medications are kept, can provide a convenient, yet unobtrusive, way for the loved one to check in with family at least once or twice each day. It also provides the assurance that the parent or grandparent is taking medications on schedule.
- A monitor for persons who are ill and require the assistance of a home care or nursing service. The practice of hiring a home care or a skilled nursing service to monitor or care for someone who is ill and lives too far away to be visited daily is becoming more common. Although this practice ensures that appropriate care is being delivered, one can never be too careful. A home security camera can enable family members to keep an eye on what is happening. Does the caregiver arrive on schedule? Does the caregiver stay for the expected amount of time? When the loved one checks in on camera each day, are there any signs of abuse or danger?
- A monitor for persons with disabilities. Modern technology has enabled many persons with a variety of disabilities to continue to live independently. Sometimes, however, certain types of assistance are needed. Whether someone needs to check in regularly to monitor assistive equipment or to provide care or assistance, a home security camera can track who comes and goes, when they arrive and depart, and can be a mechanism by which family members can be assured visibly that a disabled person is safe and healthy.
- A monitor for pets left home alone. Whether you have an exuberant dog, an untrained puppy or a bird that knows how to open the cage door and flies around the house, there can be many reasons to want to know what pets are doing when they are home alone. For people who travel and leave their pets at home with a friend coming in to feed and care for the pet, a home security camera can provide reassurance that the pet is being cared for properly. Whether you have the camera inside, so you can see what the pet is doing, whether the food bowl is full or empty, etc. or it is outside and monitoring the friend or neighbor’s arrival and departure from the house, a home security camera can be your eyes and ears when you must leave a pet alone.
Whether you agree that five of the best uses for a home security camera are the ones listed here, your imagination and creativity can probably identify some other great uses for a security camera. To identify the right camera and the right monitoring service for your security needs, contact your local home security expert. He or she will be able to advise you and help you find the best solution for your needs and your budget.